Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Truth About Enemies

We need enemies. They are a rite of passage.

Seeing others as enemies is part of our spiritual evolution. Enemies are a way to get through life when we are not yet able to take responsibility for our own experiences.

Just like people, countries can engage in this type of consciousness. One country can declare another country to be an enemy. “You are the reason we have so many problems.” In the business world, companies can participate in "enemy-thinking.”

Enemy-thinking is always a form of denial.

As we accept our role as creator of our experiences, the need to blame and point fingers at enemies falls away. If someone truly engages in hurtful behavior, we can use the situation to our benefit 1) Identify the parts within ourselves that are not yet able to forgive ourselves or others, 2) See the situation as an opportunity to forgive. 3) Recognize the situation as an opportunity to teach by example.

Those who engage in enemy-thinking have a birthright to happiness and love just like you or I.

The flipside of this is not so easy. If we can forgive ourselves for thinking in terms of enemies, can we go as far as forgiving others for their enemy-thinking? What about if it is me who is targeted as an enemy? Will I be clear enough to identify the parts of me that are not yet able to forgive? Will I be able to observe how I “buy in” to this type of behavior, “agreeing” on some level that I deserve less?

When accuses me, or claims I am the reason they are hurting, my defenses go up. My kneejerk reaction is to make them “wrong.” But I’ve found that by taking a step back, and reminding myself that just as with me, this person has the "right” to see people as “enemies.” Just as there is nothing inherently wrong with me when I think this way, others have the same right.

While enemy-thinking may not be fun, it is a necessary part of growth. Enemy-thinking in ourselves or others is always an opportunity to grow and move beyond self-imposed barriers.

When I think of seeing life in terms of "enemies," I am reminded of a gentle saint who once said, "Eventually, even suffering loses its charm.”

No comments:

Post a Comment